Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Restaurant Review: Eduardos

89 Harbord St 416.928.0926

I have been a faithful diner at Latitude. I liked the South American influence of taste. The restaurant is small and had a warm homey but elegant feeling. The small patio at the back of the restaurant is one of my favorite dining spots because it does not face a street. It is like dining in your own back yard. It is peaceful and allows you to enjoy fine dining in the open air. Restaurant Renovation recently featured this restaurant on a TV program. Following the complete makeover the name was changed to Eduardos. I was anxious to see what had transpired in the premises as well as the menu. My dear friend Elaine, a restaurant aficionado, and I set out to enjoy ourselves after being thoroughly depressed by our movie. That drink couldn’t come fast enough.
Elaine and I were greeted as if we were long lost friends. We loved the new décor. Little touches of fine design gave a completely new look. The owner is such a friendly knowledgeable manager. He gave us a lot of information about the food and was completely charming as a host. I learned that he was originally from Mexico City and gave up a different profession to move to Toronto and start a new life. He gets points for courage and creativity. He has certainly learned his trade in this well run establishment. On this lovely summer evening Margueritas were being featured. Elaine tells me the second one was even better than the first. They were served in Mexican glasses with a cactus plant as the stem. I opted for a Spanish red wine chosen by the owner. Good choice.
A very good quality rye bread was served with the best bean dip I have ever tasted. I could have eaten a bowl of the dip and gone home happy.
Appetizers are varied and with a Mexican gourmet touch. The Caesar Salad features romaine lettuce, bacon, black beans and manchego cheese with a mild jalapeno and avocado Caesar dressing. ($8.00) Lamb and Hutlacoche Empanadas are served with chipotle adobo yogurt. ($10.00) Tuna Tacos offer rare tuna with shredded radishes and pico de gallo in a crispy Taro shell with cucumber and micro greens.($12.00) Grilled Calamari is served with a honey chili marinade, shaved chayote and fennel, cascabel and lime sauce. ($9.00)
I didn’t have to look far to choose my main course. I will travel anywhere for good tuna and that is exactly what I got. Axiote and Citrus Marinated Tuna is served with ajillo fingerlings and mango mojo. ($27.00) It was so moist and flavorful. I was upset when I had licked my plate clean. It was a generous portion but so delicious that I finished every bite. Elaine opted for the Lamb Duo. She raved about the presentation and taste. Roasted loin is served pink. The braised shank and yam enchilados were served with braised greens and tomato chipotle sauce. ($24.00) Pepita and Citrus Crusted Chicken Supreme is served with cinnamon roast squash, spinach and house Mole sauce.($19.00) Grilled Salmon Fillet can be enjoyed with quinoa and bean salad served with dill chimmichuri. ($18.00)
Elaine and I agreed that we were immediately refreshed from our depressed state following the movie... We enjoyed the fresh night air while dining on gourmet delights. That added touch of Mexican flavor made for a tasting delight. What a delightful dining experience.

No comments: