Monday, June 18, 2007

Restaurant Review: Cantine

138 Avenue Rd (at Davenport) 416.923.4822

I think I am going to write a new list of my five favorites in Toronto. Cantine will happily be on the list. I have eaten here many times. Each time the food was excellent. Each time I have enjoyed the warm atmosphere. It is totally consistent and rates high marks in every category. You are always greeted as if you are a family member coming to visit. The front of the restaurant is decorated with comfy wide leather chairs. The tables are low. Lamps light the area. You feel as if you are in a living room. The large bar area separates the more formal part of the dining room at the back. The owner is always moving about making sure all is perfect. You can’t beat that personal touch. I love tuna and get excited whenever I see it on a menu. Grilled Ahi Tuna Steak was on the menu this night. I didn’t need to look any further. It was perfectly cooked. Each bite was beyond words. I was in heaven. A little wasabi cream on the side added the perfect little bite. The vegetables were perfectly cooked. ($18.95) I declare this to be an outstanding meal. On my last visit I ordered a Salad Nicoise. The vegetables were fresh and tasty. A nice piece of the perfect fresh grilled tuna was placed on top. ($11.95) My grandson ordered Curried Shrimp. It had a wonderful flavor but was not overpowered by the curry. We were happy campers.
I like the menu here because you can order lighter fare or have a complete dinner. I think the prices are more than fair. I could describe many items on the menu. Just take my word for it. The menu is extensive. There is something for everyone. This is now one of my new favorites. I love it.

No comments: